4.12.2007

 

Things that make me go. . . what the F*ck?




Life is full of mundane enigmas. In this age of trigger-happy web surfing, answers that cannot be readily furnished by google, or wikipedia, are particularly stymying.

Like:

1. Why does there seem to be a sudden and dramatic increase in tagging here in town? What is up? Teenage trend, upswing in gang rivalries, secret sigils portending the coming apocalypse? (Or is it just me?)

2. Why is it that, when driving on the freeway (at least in LA), a turn signal almost always results in other drivers courteously, if somewhat reluctantly, letting you into their lane? Merging across three lanes of gridlock to avoid getting on the 405 from the Bundy on-ramp to the 10 East would seem to necessitate it. But that same turn signal, if you're stuck behind an immobile vehicle on a surface street -- say a tow-truck in front of Restaurant Row on 3rd between La Cienega and Fairfax -- is futile. Cars behind you zoom past and even aggressively swerve to cut you off, horns blazing, as you try to get out of your predicament.

3. That guy on DIY who Liz watches. The gardening guru. His name is Joe Lamp'l. What kind of name is Lamp'l? What the Hell is an apostrophe doing between a p and an l?! It reminds me of cheap, pulp sci-fi/fantasy, in which unimaginative authors try to make their settings seem exotic through the random and unmitigated sprinkling of apostrophes. C'Baak K'Doogo of the hordes of the Ta'Kla H'Drath swept into battle with Prince Floshak Lamp'l Sh'Blahblah.

I want answers. I will provide libations.

-jw

Comments:
1. I was bored. What can I say?

2. Like a thumbs up means "okay" in America but means "I want butt sex" in Taiwan, a turn signal means different things in different places. On the 101, it means "I want to merge right without killing you but I will if I have to." On the surface streets it means "I'm lame enough to signal where I want to go so go ahead an pull around me." In Florida, it means "I'm retired."

3. In the interest of full disclosure, shouldn't you mention that your name used to be James Witker'l?
 
i love the above comments.

so, i think the apostrophe mid-word is a french thing. stupid snobby french. grumble.

the random tagging is going on in denver too, all over the place. i can't figure out why the sudden trend but it did sort of start when the snow began to melt.

there's apparently a MC Hammer fan in my work neighborhood 'cause one morning the United Way building got tagged with "2 Legit!"
and see my favorite tag here:
http://www.larasue.photosite.com/TourofDenver/#
 
Tom -

1. Nice try. But I just remembered you told me you gave up cursive. (Although most graffiti is more legible than my penmanship.)

2. Worthy of a sociological study. I feel enlightened. I can't wait until the next time I have the opportunity to give the high sign to someone from China. (Has Bush done this yet? I bet he has.)

3. Checking the family tree for any French lineage. So far none. A distant relative recently compiled a comprehensive self-published tome called "Witkers to America." We have just about everything else.

Lara -

The French hypothesis is intriguing, although awaiting corrroboration. Even Liz, with her vast knowledge of the DIY world, had been able to turn up nothing. For now I will conclude that Gardener Joe is probably from Gliese 581.

The rogue gang of Hammer-taggers in CO leaves us speechless. Denver must be so hip that, while 80s style is allegedly in again in NYC and LA, early 90s hip-hop is poised for a resurgence. Will Arsenio make a comeback? . . . Wait, does MCH live in Denver, by any chance?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?